Friday, January 10, 2014

Let's figure it out: Centerpieces

This is the first installment of "Let's figure it out" is all about wedding centerpieces. This has kind of been at the bottom of my priority list for a few reasons:

1. My reception location provides generic centerpieces (mirror with votive candles or a small white vase with fresh flowers of my choice).
2. Do people really care and remember centerpieces? I've been to a lot of weddings the past 2 years and I can remember one of the centerpieces
3. They can't be that time consuming to create, right?

I recently had a craft night with my bridesmaids and the topic of centerpieces came up. I knew I wanted to use cut wine bottles (recycled from my friend Kate's wedding) and have the table number/name somewhere on the centerpiece. We started playing around with one of the cut bottles and an empty bottle we had to see what looked best, and it was a LOT more difficult that I thought. There is a fine line between too minimal and way too much, and just adding small things like ribbon and lights made drastic changes to the look of the whole thing.

I am a wannabe DIY diva, so I have lots of ideas and I tend to like everything I see on pinterest but my execution of my ideas rarely go as planned. One of my bridesmaids has taught me the mantra of "Less is more." because it is really easy to get carried away with the lights, flowers and glitter.

My advice to to start with the largest part of your centerpiece, for me that would be the wine bottles, and consider the following:

1. Does it go with your theme and/or color scheme?
2. Does it hinder conversation at the table? (My personal pet peeve)
3. Does it look lazy? (ie: Sprinkling confetti on each table)
4. How much would it be for all of the tables?
5. Can it be duplicated?

Then build out from the largest part. A good centerpiece compliments the reception location, doesn't take up a large portion of the table, sparks instead of hinders conversation and is symmetrical. While creating my centerpieces, we experimented with varying heights, lights, ribbon, tulle and LED candles. When we finally thought we had something, I went to take a picture for my fiance and I realized that it we created something with a beautiful front, and a unappealing back.

The last thing to consider with centerpieces is who will be putting them up for you. Some people are able to put up their own based on when they have access to their reception site, but others are not that lucky. Pick out people you trust and take pictures of your completed centerpieces and leave instructions if there are extra steps (ie pulling out the battery tabs in the LED tea lights). I cannot brag about my reception site (Alpine Banquets, in Darien IL) enough, they actually will set up the centerpieces for you so that way no one needs to stress about the set up of the banquet hall.

And as always remember to give yourself plenty of time and plenty of supplies when crafting. I made bags for my bridesmaids when I asked them, and I am embarrassed by how many times I had to go back to Michael's to get more supplies.

I am always trying to make my wedding planning more fun, so I held a girls/craft night for my bridesmaids where we made shirts, worked on save the dates and played around with centerpiece set ups. We had a ton of fun and got a ton done. No one said you have to do this all alone.

--the southside bride

No comments:

Post a Comment